10.19.2006

Les Politiques et Les Femmes

"I'm concerned for you," said Piotr, my new Polish friend.
"Why?" I asked surprised by the sudden change of subject.
"Well, I think politics will make you cynical."
"No," I began, "it's very serious stuff, yes, but I don't allow it to bring me down."
"Well," he continued, "politics is really for men."
I stand quietly for a moment, allowing a stunned and uncertain smile to my face. Mon dieu! He is serious.
"In the U.S., Piotr," I replied stiffly, "women do whatever they want."

My experiences here, I must say, has less to do with the French. I know a great deal about teachers, beauracracy, and commerce, but very little about social interactions. I only have two real French friends. However, I am learning a great deal about other nationalities because I meet primarily international students. It's been interesting meeting students that do not come from the same sex/gender culture of the U.S., especially when it comes to politics. The conversation above is a perfect example. I sometimes forget how much more liberty there is for women in the U.S. than in most places of the world. I have to explain that one of the great values of the book Pride and Prejudice is not simply the story, but the presentation of an intelligent female herione. In romance, men find Cassidy and I to be less attractive because we are so bold. Women should be shy. They should act disinterested. And most importantly, they should not engage in political debates, period.

I remembered studying in class that the U.S. was different with regard to women and politics, so I did a little research (http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/public/percent.htm). I some ways it's true, with the U.S. ranking first with total percentage of women in government positions: 33.1%. Here may be a few surprises:

Belgium: 6.6%
France: 10.8%
Germany: 6.1%
Italy: 7.1%
Switzerland: 7.1%
U.K.: 6.9%

Even Canada only has 17.7%... That almost half as many women in government as the U.S.

But, the situation gets a little skewed when you look at how many women are in ministerial or parliamentary positions (http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm). Then the U.S. drops to 67th. Ouch. Bosnia has a higher percentage of women in their parliament than we do. Every other developed nation except for France and Ireland is above us on the list. Only 15% of the House of Reps is female, and 14% of the Senate is women. Seriously, Americans, we can do better.

I hardly know what to do with these statistics though, because you know who's number 1? Rwanda. Yeah, I think we woman might vote "Nay" on making Rwanda the posterchild for feminine capacity.

Anyway, it's interesting to study this. Mostly what I learned in this whole situation is that there are still places where woman are for some reason or another not supposed to go. And, naturally, I'm going there.

2 Comments:

Blogger OurayDreamer said...

To boldly go where few women have gone before...or something like that!

I will say again what a wonderful experience this has been for you. The perspective you will have gained will be immeasuralby valuable. Growing up in the 60's & 70's, I experienced some of what you are observing and am glad the US has changed.

Tue Oct 24, 01:34:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not at all glad the U.S. has changed! This whole "uppity women" movement is preventing me from finding an acceptable wife. Stop propogating new-fangled ideas on this intertubes thing!

Wed Nov 01, 03:08:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home