7.17.2006

Lessons and Eagerness to Be Home.

This will probably be my last post in Europe until I go to Clermont-Ferrand en Septembre.

Let's review what you've missed out on:

Venice: Not that great. It's not a really city! It's tourist shop after tourist shop and lots of fake Italian restaurants. If you are planning a trip to Italy, two or three days is more than enough to see Venice and really only so you can see all the paintings of San Marco and say, "Oh, hey, I've been there!"

Paris: Oh my God! I'm in love. Paris was wonderful. They have movie theaters. So many people said Paris was too big, the people are rude, that it's too dirty, etc. I found none of it to be true. People were friendly, no one had a problem with us speaking English (my French is good, but my spoken French in a loud and very busy city never really works), it was extremely clean, and Le Louvre was frickin' incredible! (Allez Les Bleus!)

Amsterdam: It was beautiful. Everyone was so nice and spoke flawless English. It was hilarious. Waitresses would walk up to us and say, "Ein vuudin von ish glinen?" (That's not real Dutch, but you get the gist.) We stare dumbly for a second and then say, "English?" They'd smile and say, "Oh, of course. How can I help you?" and they didn't even flinch! I also have a new appreciation for Van Gogh. I cannot wait to go back.

London: So expensive it makes me want to cry. The English was very looked forward to, but it was kind of a disappointment. British English is very difficult to understand, and they get very pissy with American girls who ask them to repeat what they said. It's an impressive, but very intimidating. I'd like to come again with a more structured schedule of events.

I wish I had more access to internet so I could write about things here. I cannot wait to get home and just be able to sit and lay out my thoughts. I have not been alone since... May. To be alone and sit in the air conditioning. I am very eager to be home at this point. Looking forward to living in France has promises of benefits, but coming here first does make the prospect appear even more frightening. Visiting Paris made me doubt my French language skills. Living in Italy should me what it's going to be like not being able to carry on conversations with the people around you. It's expensive here, and little things like not having normal toilets is very devestating. At this moment, there is a man trying to talk to Elizabeth and I, and he will not leave us alone. I miss American men. They're kind of cowardly, but at least they leave you alone when you show you're not interested.

Regardless, it will be the most rewarding experience of my life. I've been here for 7 and a half weeks and I've gained knowledge that cannot be measured. I really believe, now, that every American needs to go to Europe. To understand where we come from, who our friends are culturally, what others do better that we should consider adopting, and what we love about ourselves are just a few of the wonderful benefits of visiting.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, and a very long Thursday and I'll be home. That is a very happy prospect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home