9.14.2006

Is She Alive?

Oui, je suis ici, et je suis bien!

I am still responding to this change emotionally and intellectually, and I haven't prepared anything to say here, so this is sort of off the top of my head.

This experience, so far, has been completely different than my time in Italy. We got off the airplane at Charles-de-Galle, which is the most depressing airport in the world. I caught my brother's cold, and so I was feeling ill carrying my 100 lbs of luggage through the airport to the bus to the train station. Luckily, Cassidy and I met another girl from OU, Julie, who had already set up a meeting with some students to pick her up from the train to take her to the dorms. Cassidy and I were just going to catch a cab, but it worked out that we could go with them. There were two nice boys who carried our luggage up the many flights of stairs to our dorms on the 4th floor. Needless to say, we were exhausted by the time we were settled in a good 48 since the last time we had really slept.

Clermont-Ferrand was not what I anticipated. Somehow, I anticipated something similar to Perugia or Arezzo in Italy. There are some modern conveniences, but you still have tiny grocery stores and little food venders, etc. But Clermont is like Norman. You go to the supermarket. It's a 30 minute walk to school, which is gunna suck ass when the temperature drops below 0. We live in the ghetto of Clermont, or should I say, just outside the ghetto. We've been warned by our French friend Stephanie not to go south of where we live. (I'm assuming south, because I still don't know where is North, South, East, or West.) We live in the dorms with other international students, so we've met other English speakers. However, we've not made a lot of French speaking friends. Almost everyone speaks English, or a little bit of English. I am definitely of the opinion that I know the only language I need to know or will ever need to know. I am just learning French as a challenge for my mind. However, every French person I've met desperately wants to practive English with me. It's frustrating when I'm trying to learn French, but comforting in terms of my long term plans: I know English. I'm set for life.

My room is nicer than I anticipated. I have a sink in a little side room of my room. I'll take pictures soon and post them now that I know how to get free internet. (This is a surprise! I was told not to anticipate WiFi at all, and I've found a number of sources.) It's painted green, which is my favorite color. It's cozy and practical. But there are not toilet seats, as I was warned.

I have a banque account and un telephone portable. I just cannot wait for classes to start, to really begin speaking French, and to make friends outside of the little OU group. I miss Italy. A lot. I am thinking about trying to go back maybe next semester or over the summer. We shall see.

I'm out of battery power, so I will return later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a safe trip!

Thu Sep 14, 07:56:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger OurayDreamer said...

Though I've spoken with you a few times, it is comforting for your mom to read your blog.

Hopefully there will be buses or something when the temperature drops.

BTW - I have an international calling plan now but I don't know when would be the best to call. Email me if you can. I'll arrange to call you whenever you're available.

Je t'aime, fille de bébé!

Fri Sep 15, 02:37:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home