6.22.2006

Catholicism? Hah! I'm a Catherinic!

Praise to St. Catherine!

While in Siena, I came across a shop that had one of the more extraordinary dresses I've every tried on. That is to say, in America, it'd be a little dull, but in Europe I look absolutely incredible. All those people who say Europeans are so fashion forward? Well, at least in Italy, that is one big lie. These people dress worse than Oklahomans. No concept whatsoever for flattering shapes or colors. And I don't think it is a matter of different tastes, because it is quite apparent from store fronts in every town that I've been in that style is quite similar to American styles. These people simply do not know how to dress themselves.

Anyway, I tried on this dress and damn (!) I looked good in it. But it was a little pricy. I mean, dresses here are cheaper than in the states, but it was still a bit much. So, I gave the dress a little hug, left it on the rack, and left. Our next stop in Siena was to see the head of St. Catherine. Oh yes, this is literally the diembodied head of St. Catherine, displayed in glass in one of the churches. You can also see her thumb (or one of her other fingers). She's performed all of these miracles. One of them was her followers dug up her body to return it to Siena, but they didn't think they could get the whole thing back, so they removed her head and thumb. When they trekked out of the city, they were stopped by city officials to pay taxes on what they purchased. "What's in the bag?" the offials ask, and this of course comes to quite some concern of the followers. They open the bag, and the officials say, "Hey, nice flowers'" and let them pass through. So, now they can display her head at this church in Siena.

Well, I get to Florence (or Firenze) and start doing some dress shopping. I quickly relize that I'm a moron for passing up that dress. Yes, it was a little expensive, but I looked good! Then, I have troble finding the chain store that sold that dress. That's when someone suggested I try to hit up St Catherine. Maybe we could come to some arrangement about the dress situation. If she can turn her head into flowers, she could reveal the store to me, have that dress available in the right fabric and size. In return, I promise to return to the church where her head is at, make a small donation, and never again question the legitimacy of the catholic church. I know, it's quite a sacrifice, but you need to see me in this dress.

Well, sure enough, after much searching, I find the dress. Not only that, but they had it one size smaller than the one in Siena, which looks even better on me. Then, I found these great earrings and shoes to go with it, as well as nice undergarments that flatter the breasts without visible bra straps, and no panty line with a thong. So, I didn't promise to convert, but me and catholicism have found a respectable agreement. It was a good day.

The little red spots have not gone away. (It's not zits. I don't carefully proof read my stuff, because it cost me money. And typing on European keyboards is a little tricky.)

I am now in Arezzo. It's an adorable little town. A few things have suprised me on this trip:

1) Internet is expensive and very difficult to access. This results in no pictures and fewer posts than I desire.
2) I haven't take a lot of pictures. My camera is quite heavy and really impractical to carry around with me. I'm usually walking around with a group, so I don't have time to stop and take pictures without getting separated from the group. And, straight up, y'all, I'd much rather not take pictures than not hear the stuff our guide tells us. I think there are others in this group who don't enjoy what he has to say, but I've gone from knowing nothing and caring nothing about Italian art to understanding the connections and differences between Michelangelo, Da Vinci, and Donatello. I'm just really sad I can't explain it all to you. I'm going to forget by the time I get home.
3) Food is not as great as I anticipated. It's good, to be sure, but not sex on a plate like many have told me. There is a McDonald's in Arezzo. When I find it, I'm eating EVERYTHING! Though, I had this dessert last night which was composed of slices of dry cheese, topped with honey, walnuts, and pears. It was pretty fantastic.

Little side note, Arezzo is where they filmed the city scenes from Life is Beautiful. If you have not seen that movie ("La Vita Bella"), you are missing one of the world's finest cinematic achievements.

I need to go study dissimulation in italian life through observation, so I'll catch you later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty hot outfit! Too bad it came at the cost of a pact with a severed head (or did you make the deal with the thumb? I'm not clear on that).

I'm hoping to see what photos you do end up taking when you get back!

Thu Jun 22, 11:50:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger OurayDreamer said...

Kurt always makes me laugh...
So were the red dots gone before or after the pact with the severed head/thumb? Red dots disappearing & the perfect dress with accessories all in such a short time span. Maybe this miracle is bigger and broader than we thought.

Fri Jun 23, 01:59:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home